Friday, April 23, 2010

Lettuce wraps- my favorite type of salad!

Typically I don’t like diets, especially “fad” diets (and Los Angeles is full of them) but my diet that I've been doing for the past 2 weeks has left me feeling great! I feel like I can leap buildings! Save the world! And…. Well maybe not so much, but I do feel like I have a lot more energy and don’t crave sweets and carbs, and I love my sweets! Especially when I'm baking them. This Tuna Tar-tar lettuce wrap recipe is something that I came up with last minute when I catered a party. I needed to have an appetizer salad and I didn’t just want to do a plain old chopped salad. I like more unique ideas, and it just so happened that this salad is very healthy and fits my diet! (Minus the fried tortillas.. lol) serve this at any kind of occasion. It makes for a great meal, or appetizer, and  you don’t care about being too healthy, Scoop tuna onto a cracker.

Let me know what you think!

 

 

Tuna tar-tar lettuce wraps

 

Ingredients

8 oz raw sushi quality tuna cut in ½ inch cubes

1 orange pepper, ½ inch dice

3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

2 tbsp sesame oil

Salt and pepper (to taste)

2 heads butter lettuce, (or mini romaine lettuce) stalks removed and washed

3 flour tortillas, thinly sliced

Canola oil

 

Directions

In a large bowl, mix first 5 ingredients. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 cups of canola oil in a deep pot over high heat (or use deep fryer) fry tortilla strips for about 2 minutes. Remove onto a paper towel covered plate, season with salt and pepper immediately.

To assemble, place 1 piece of lettuce onto a plate, scoop-desired amount of tuna mixture into lettuce cup. Sprinkle fried tortilla strips over tuna. Garnish with a drizzle of lemon. Repeat until tuna is gone.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment