Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Non Crock-Pot Pot-Roast

On days when I have time, I like to try out new recipes. Usually I will be watching a cooking show, reading a cookbook or magazine and I will be inspired to cook! I was watching “Tyler’s Ultimate” on Food Network the other day (I freaking love that show) and he was making Pot Roast. I didn’t get to finish the show because I had to go to my Pilates class, but the idea of pot roast sounded good. Now when I think of pot roast I think of crock-pots and when I think of crock-pots I think of when I was a kid. Which sometimes isn’t such a good thing. Lol. With crock-pots you can just toss the meat and ingredients with a cooking liquid and cook. With the pot roast I made, I think it is best to sear the meat before braising because it seals in all the flavor and natural juices of the meat, and makes for a much tastier outcome. Also, instead of adding any liquid to braise, I add tomato sauce because the meat and vegetables will release there natural juices and mix with the tomato sauce to create a much thicker braising liquid. 

Serve this pot roast on top of flat egg noodles and it is easy and delicious!

 

Pot Roast

 

Ingredients

3 ½ lbs Beef chuck

1 onion, rough chopped

2 parsnips, peeled and thick sliced

2 carrots, peeled and thick sliced

1 lb small red potatoes

3 cloves garlic, peeled

3 sprigs fresh thyme

3 sprigs fresh rosemary

3 sprigs fresh Oregano

1 can traditional tomato sauce

EVOO

Salt and pepper

 

Instructions

Season both sides of beef chuck with a few heavy pinches of salt and pepper. In a large, deep pot, heat about 3 tbsp of EVOO on high heat. Sear Beef chuck on both sides so that a brown crust forms. (About 5 minutes per side)

Add all vegetables and herbs, cover with tomato sauce. Cover pot with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer and cook for about 3 hours. 

1 comment: