Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hush Puppies for the healthier eater

When you think of comfort food what comes to mind? Almost anything fattening and that really sucks. When it’s cold and rainy outside a nice big salad is the last thing I want. I want some comforting foods like Mac’ and cheese, fried chicken, casseroles, etc.

Now if you are from the south (which I am not) you have eaten a few Hush Puppies in your life. They are delicious! Perfect little fried bit sized fried balls of carbohydrates. How American is that? The first time I made these delectable little morsels I was in culinary school and I was surprised how easy they were to make. In the last couple years I have been trying to recreate classic comfort foods in a healthier way and these Hush Puppies are one of them.

 

BAKED HUSH PUPPIES

 Ingredients

1 c. cornmeal

1 c. gluten free flour

1 tsp. sugar

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

3/4 c. fat free milk

2 beaten eggs

1/4 c. chopped onion

1/4 c. melted butter

½ cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese

 

Instructions

Sift dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients and stir only until blended. Place approximately 1 tablespoon batter into well-greased small muffin tin wells. Place muffin pans on sheet of aluminum the size of the pan to prevent over browning. Bake in hot oven, 425 degrees, for 15-20 minutes. Makes 44 hush puppies.

 

 

Typically Hush Puppies are fried but if you wanted to you could do the same with this recipe. But I baked them because you save hundreds of calories this way and to me they are just as good. Also, lately I've been trying to stay away from gluten, a protein found in grains such as wheat, rye, and barley, because it damages the lining of the small intestine, leading to the body’s inability to absorb essential nutrients and vitamins. This can slow your metabolism and prevent weight loss. No bueno! There are many foods in your local grocery store that come “Gluten free” now. I used “gluten free” flour in this recipe. By simply using lower fat ingredients such as fat free milk and low fat cheese you can cut calories significantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment